Thursday, October 11, 2012

Week 6 Happy Thanksgiving!











I can't believe it's week six! I'd better start learning some Tagalog, haha.
Joke lang (joke only). How is everyone doing? Was conference incredible or what?
I was watching the first session of conference in the overflow room, but the sound wasn't working and it was very quiet for the beginning, so we couldn't hear President Monson make the big anouncement. We knew that it was something huge though, because the Senior missionaries in the front that were close enough to hear were really excited. I had to know what the big deal was...so during the rest hymn I dragged Elder Williams out for a 'washroom break' and immedietly found one of the senior sisters and asked her about the big news. She immedietly put her hands on our shoulders and started to cry as she told us the anouncement that Elders could leave at 18 and sisters at 19. She was crying with joy because more of her grandchildren would have the opportunity to serve now. I was so blown away by the news...It made me so happy. Janae, I'm so glad that you've decided to serve a mission. It'll be an amazing experience for you - start getting the guys in your grade pumped up to go, haha. Josh, you don't have to wait a super long time now. Start preparing!!!! haha.
Conference was amazing. I love every single talk and I felt like lots of them applied to me. President Uchtdorf's talk in the saturday morning session was one of my favorites, along with Russell M. Nelson's (just ask the missionaries, they can help you). I really loved the messages about conversion, and how it is a process that we should never give up on, and how we can be happy regardless of our circumstances and the external factors of our lives. I was having a really hard time last week with feeling the spirit and I was looking for an answer to my prayers. I got that answer on Thursday, and I was able to feel the spirit in most of conference and through several teaching experiences. It is still tough, but I feel really good about this week and I know that I am on the path to conversion and things will get better as I go.
We taught a BYU student named Jason last Wednesday, he is Filipino and from Angeles, so we had a really good talk with him after the lesson. We taught him about how we can recieve revelation through church attendance and he shared some experiences with us about how he had recieved revelation in church. It was a good lesson, even though he didn't understand a lot of our Tagalog. It's funny, the American volunteers seem to understand us better than the Filipino ones...I'm not sure whether to be nervous about that or not, haha. He told us to watch out for cochroaches, as they like to chew on the soft tissue (lips and eyelids) of people faces while they are sleeping. I think I may invest in a bug net for my face when I get there, haha. We also commited one of our progressing investigators (Brother Ah Mu's character that he plays) to baptism. That wasn't the original plan for the lesson, but it seemed like a good time, and I surprised Elder Williams by reading 3 Nephi:11 (I forget the verse, but it's about baptism, haha) and inviting Brother 'Vargas' to follow Christ's example and be baptized. Now we just have to teach him about the Law of Chastity, and more on the Atonement, and he'll be all good to go, haha.
This week has been quite fantastic. Thank you to the Noads, it was really good to hear from you. Nick can send in his papers right now (put that you want to go foreign, is my advice, learning a language is so fun) which is super exciting. I have indeed had the chance to play the piano here at the MTC. I have played in sacrament meeting a couple of times and I occasionally have time after meals to slip into a room and play a little bit which is nice. I hope you're all doing well.
Elder Sugden and I celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving with Elder Watters (He's from Victoria  and he knows the Orregos) from the younger district. We scraped some food together on a little table in the hallway, hung a Canadian flag and ate the rest of Elder Watter's pumpkin pie that his family sent him. All and all, it was a good day (hope you like the pictures...Elder Watters is the elder in the middle). If you are wondering about the water-bottle pictures and the sticky note picture...it is part of a contest that our floor does every night. The contestants have to chug a 591ml Smart Water bottle full of water while being timed. It gets really intense, and the times are posted on the sticky notes. The best technique is to drink a little bit and then squeeze the bottle to push the water down your throat. The current record is held by Elder Moreno...2.81 seconds. My best time is 6.96...but there is still room for improvement, haha.


Oh! I got the package you guys sent...it was wonderful and nothing spilled. Most of the district tried the caesars but only a few people liked it. One the elder's from another district, Elder Walker (who's from new Zealand) saw the looks on everyones faces (except me and Elder Sugden, who probably downed two Caesars each) and asked if I would mix him a Canadian cocktail. I did, and he drained about half of it and made one of the best faces I've ever seen. I doubt anyone from the island nations has ever experienced something like that before, haha.
Thank you so much for all of that stuff. I loved it, and my district loved trying all the Canadian food.

No comments:

Post a Comment