Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 18, 2013 Wrong Addresses and Aloha Burgers

Hello Family!

Things are going pretty good this week, I'm starting to get a lot braver with talking to people here, even though they don't want to listen a lot of the time. From reading Sister Lybbert's emails and from stories I've heard about other missions, I think I'm probably just getting a little taste about what contacting is like in most places in the world. Everyone is too busy, or belongs to the Iglesia ni Cristo, haha. There are still a lot of great people here though...it's just harder to talk to them and pin them down for an appointment. I decided earlier in the week that I would just be really crazy and try and talk to anyone that couldn't run away...and after a few rejections I finally got a good conversation going with a guy sitting on the curb in front of a house. I got his name, address, gave him a restoration pamphlet, bore my testimony, set an appointment to visit him, cheerfully said goodbye...and then as I expressed my excitement to my companion, he looked at me and said, "He gave us a false address." Good feeling gone, haha.

To be more optimistic though, we met a lot of great people this week that were willing to give real addresses and set appointments. A few of them have even been taught by missionaries before. I am hoping that we will be able to find some new investigators this next week. I've been praying and praying that we'll be able to find people that will listen!

We had a couple of baptisms on Saturday...a couple of part member kids - Sean and Justin. One is 11 and the other is twelve. It was a really nice baptism and it was so great to see how much the ward helped to make it a good experience for them. The primary assigned speakers, a few other kids to bear their testimonies, and they even prepared a special musical number. One thing I really love about this ward is how united they are and how supportive they are to the missionary work here. It's been cool to see the changes that have happened in the work here as we've implemented the mandate to become 'one' as a church in this great work. The power that is behind the ward members makes such a huge difference. We were invited to a lunch with one of the members (in the ZL's area) and all four of us got to be part of a lesson to some of this members friends that she had invited. It is so helpful to have a member present in the lesson, and even better to hold the lessons in the members homes. I invite ALL OF YOU within the reading distance of this email to open your homes to the missionaries and invite some friends over for dinner that will listen to their message. The missionaries will love you for it, and you will get to feel the joy that comes from inviting others to come unto Christ.

Aloha Burgers...the latest Jollibee special. So good. Two patties, with cheese, bacon and a pineapple ring. We also ate dinner at one of the member's houses last night...Brother Kuway (I think I spelled it right). He is an RM and has a wife and a few kids...he also cooks like one of the Iron Chefs. Everything he cooks is perfectly done up, and is even arranged and displayed to restaurant quality. He cooked us beef ribs with sweet and sour sauce last night with a side of grilled shrimp. I wish I had words to describe how delicious it was. The four of us elders probably finished two kilos of rice with it, haha. So many blessings here.

I think the biggest challenges here are finding people, and extending solid commitments. One of my goals in this area is to build up the investigator pool. We have one progressing investigator who is ready to be baptized this September  but after that, we don't really have anyone. Elder Bacalso and I are trying hard to change that, but not a lot has been happening. I think one thing I want to try is more street contacting in some of the really crowded public areas (there are some areas where there are probably 1000 people all around you within 100 feet). I feel like it might help. I've also been trying to OYM more on Jeepneys and Trikes, but that can be really nerve racking sometimes, haha.

I also took up cockroach hunting again. Our house here is even more disgusting than my first house (if you remember the pictures), and there are billions of roaches. They are everywhere...upstairs, downstairs, in our dishes, in our beds, the bathroom...and they lay eggs everywhere. I kill at least five or six a day. I've woken up several times with a cockroach crawling on me. It doesn't even phase me anymore, haha. We are looking for a new house at the moment...one without a roach colony and termite dust that falls from the ceiling.

I am so so excited that you guys got to hike the Chilkoot trail. It sounds like it was pretty tough but a lot of fun. I can't wait to hear more about it and see the pictures.

I love you guys and I hope that everything is going great. Summers almost over! and in ten days I'll hit my 1-year mark! It's way too fast...way too fast. 

Have a great week! I'll be sure to eat some KFC for you all.

Love, Jared.  


No comments:

Post a Comment