Thursday, August 8, 2013

Week 1 in sin city August 4, 2013

So this week's had a few surprises. The biggest one is that I got transferred to Angeles City! The Las Vegas of the Phils, haha. My area is right in the middle of the city, and I live in a decrepit old house with the ZL's, haha. I also picked up a calling (DL) which I'm not too excited about but I'll do my best to magnify effectively. I have three companionships in my district who are all pretty cool.

Angeles is crazy...I thought I knew enough about how to talk to people about the gospel, but it's so different here. Most of the people are better off here, or students or business people, so they don't really have time to talk. Or they just ignore us, haha. There is also a lot of Americans here, because of the air base here...I don't think I'll be talking to too many of them. Most of them look like ex-cons, haha. They all come here to experience the huge night life scene or to find wives that are 60 years younger than them...they aren't usually the friendliest people either. There are tons and tons of huge malls and fast food restaurants here selling American stuff. I could go and get Burger King or DQ or buy ranch dressing if I wanted to, haha. So that is pretty sweet. 

I was pretty sad to leave my last area...we went around and got some pictures and said bye to all of our investigators the day before I left. I'll really miss the great people there and I can't wait to hear what happens to that area. I'll send all of the pictures next week. 

One of the other surprises this week was a fever that hit me right on transfer day. I woke up feeling like death inside...my stomach felt like it was full of bricks and my head was killing me. After an hour or so of that my temperature spiked up. I had my companion give me a blessing so that I would be able to make it to Angeles, and as he blessed me I felt peace that I would be able to make it, and the fire in my stomach mostly went away. I don't remember too much about the trip, only throwing up a few times (out the bus window) and crashing on a mattress when the four hour bus tip was over. I think I slept from 4 PM to 7 or 8 AM. The fever is gone now, but I still have some aches and my head feels like it's going to pop anytime. I have the nastiest head cold right now. 

My new area seems pretty cool...the work is a lot different though. Most of the people here live in big gated suburbs, and we aren't allowed to go house to house there (the people will call the guard at the gate). So basically all of our work has to come from referrals and street contacting. We don't really have any great investigators now, but I plan on changing that soon, haha. 

My new companion is Elder Bacalso...he's from Davao (southern Phils) and he's crazy (most southerners are). He's also really cool though. He's actually going home in 37 days or something like that, I'll be his last companion in the mission. 

Oh...I finally got the package! Thank you all so much. I guess it got held up at customs because there was a watch in it. The Office Missionaries (the couples) told me that if you are sending anything other than candy or food to just write 'missionary supplies' on the sheet. Then it won't get seized. I'm so happy that I have it now though. It was wonderful to read all of your letters.

I am pretty good for all of my vitamins as of now...I just need a couple more bottles of vitamin C and maybe some more oregano oil.
I love you guys. 
Sorry that this is so short. I'll write more next week. 

Love, 


Jared.

No comments:

Post a Comment